POST PREGNANCY TIP #5 - NO SUGAR FOR SIX MONTHS


Giving up on cookies, cupcakes and everything else one hedonistically enjoys during pregnancy was no easy task my friends.  When my mom told me no white sugar for six months, it didn't really sink in until I was back at work 10 weeks later. 

During my yuezi month and for six months after I had my baby, I discovered major willpower issues in regard to sugar.  Who knew that the eating habits formed during pregnancy were so strong and impossible to curb afterwards??? 
At my mother's suggestion, I had black sesame drinks to satiate my desire for sweets.  It is easy to make and fast.  To be completely honest, there were a couple dark chocolate interventions when the black sesame beverage just didn’t cut it but overall, I found this beverage to be a particularly helpful and healthy alternative for afternoon sugar cravings at work.
Black sesame drinks not only hit the sweet spot but they are the gentle equivalent of prunes and apricots in Chinese cuisine.  It’s one of the best things you can drink the first week post birth as a gentle postpartum laxative.  You can’t overdo it and who knows exactly how many dried apricots and prunes will do the trick.
Stock up on this in your last weeks of pregnancy!  Black sesame drinks can be found at most Chinese supermarkets.
Tags: black sesame, post pregnancy tip, gentle postpartum laxative

1 comment:

  1. I'm interested in this drink for postpartum but am not familiar with it and I don't know of a Chinese market in my area. I started looking online, and am wondering if you use black sesame powder, or black sesame seeds and grind them yourself? Also, how do you prepare this drink - in milk or water? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete